In the movie The Soloist, Jaime Fox plays a homeless street musician who suffers from schizophrenia. Throughout the film, Fox does an outstanding job displaying the classic signs of schizophrenia. List the signs and symptoms of schizophrenia displayed and give examples from the movie to illustrate each term. Also, do some research on mental illness and homeless. Link your article in post and include statistics and pertinent information in your post. Due Friday 11:59pm No late post will be excepted.
Friday, May 10, 2013
In the movie "I Am Sam" Sean Penn plays a high functioning mentally challenged man whose love for his daughter runs deep, but she is ultimately taken away from him and placed in foster care due to his mental illness. Tell me how you feel about the situation and do you think the government has the right to intervene in so called protecting children just because their parents maybe mentally challenged. Do some research on the termination of parental rights and persons suffering from mental disabilities. Also, look up the Americans with Disability Act and see what it says according to those suffering from mental disability and parental rights. Use examples from these Acts and personal opinion on the situation.
Due Monday @ 11:59pm
Due Monday @ 11:59pm
Monday, April 29, 2013
Students need to find a famous celebrity or athlete that has ADHD. You need to analysis their childhood and their history with the disorder. Include when they were diagnosed, their signs and symptoms, their struggles with the disorder over time and today. Also, look to see if they self-medicated with drugs or alcohol. Please post on the blog site. Do not copy each other. I will know. Due Thursday at 11:59pm. I will not take late posts.
Tuesday, March 19, 2013
- Who was Jack Kevorkian and what were his believes. (Make sure to describe the term euthanasia and physician assisted suicide.)
- A large flaw in Kevorkian's theory was what does terminal illness look like and at what point is it okay to take someones life? Explain this concept in your blog.
- Explain the controversy of euthanasia and compare the Biblical worldview to the Humanistic worldview concerning euthanasia.
- Also, Explain how Kevorkian got around the legal system for so long and was not charged with murder. Eventually, Jack was found guilty, explain why/how.
- Give me your opinion on the topic of euthanasia, do you believe it is right or wrong and why.
Due Saturday 3/23/13
Sunday, March 3, 2013
After taking time last week to watch the incredible story of John Nash's life A Beautiful Mind you need to complete the following assignment and turn in via email to my school address. Use specific examples from the film to complete the following...
- Describe John's mind and his incredible talent to see solutions and problems at the beginning of the film.
- Describe Johns paranoia(What was it etc...), hallucinations, and delusions.
- Describe his treatment in and out of the hospital and his recover process.
- How did John solve the equation of his mental illness and what did he learn to do?
- Describe his life after his understanding of his illness.
Due: Monday March 11
Monday, January 7, 2013
Today in class we watched an episode of true life: I have PTSD. We watched as three men struggled to get their lives back together as they readjusted back to society. To receive full credit for this blog you need to do some research. You need to link 2 articles to your post.
- Your first article needs to be an article based around current veterans from the Afghan or Iraq war suffering from PTSD. You need to summarize the article please do not plagiarize. I will know.
- Your second article needs to be an article that talks about the current efforts of the armed forces to help soldiers cope with PTSD.
Monday, November 26, 2012
Today in class we watched a movie about Emily, a young woman suffering from anorexia. In the documentary we watched Emily's daily life and the struggles that she has been fighting for the past 8 years. Using the information that you learned today in class about drive reduction theory explain how Emily reduces the drive of feeling overweight and restores her body back to homeostasis in her mind. Use specific examples in your answer and make sure you explain drive reduction theory. Also explain how a drug addict and Emily's battle with anorexia are similar and different. Also, tell me what Emily's drug is.
Please answer all the questions to receive full credit.DUE Friday 11:59pm